Charge card/ATM policies?

Glory iamgloryaYAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 10 13:50:23 PDT 2004

I started traveling again after a few years off.

When I returned from Canada recently, there was a 2% additional charge for all VISA purchases.  Also, when I exchanged $40 at a ATM for CA dollars I paid 44 American dollars.  (I don't know what that comes to percentage wise with the exchange rate.)

When I called my VISA card customer service about the money exchange they told me that I needed to ask the ATM bank; VISA was not responsible.  This made me wonder if there would have been a charge if I had made a debit directly from my bank card at a cashier window if there would have been the same charge.

This takes away some of the plus' of using a credit card, especially if these policies are worldwide..

Is this happening in Spain with money exchange?

Whenever you find a stumbling block, use it for a stepping stone.