blisters

Ralph Alcorn RBALCORNaCS.COM
Sat Jul 10 11:36:30 PDT 2004

I use 2 inch wide stretchy breathable tape, cut down to size if needed for
hot spots, and didn't get blisters on the Camino. My wife has fairly severe
bunions and got a few blisters even with extensive taping. The reason I'm posting
this is something Conrad Rudolph had in his book, that I know works, but I
frequently neglect to do. When your feet get hot, they get soft and more prone to
blisters. If it is hot weather, stop at least every 2 1/2 hours and take
boots and socks off and sit there till your feet cool down and dry off.  On the
Camino we usually did this in conjunction with a fountain. We carried a totally
collapsible small plastic pail, would fill it with cold water from the
fountain, clean our feet in it and dry them, then go on. I don't think the water part
of it is that helpful, it just feels good. Just stopping and air drying the
feet is the thing that helps. (in my biased opinion).
Ralph Alcorn
www.backpack45.com