Pilgrimage from the north of Portugal

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraEARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jan 23 14:05:09 PST 2004

A good place to start is right at the border, i.e. the Rio Miño (Minho). There is a refugio in the city of Tui on the Galician side and it is worth visiting Valença on the Portuguese side, especially the old walled town on the tops of the two hills overlooking the Minho. It is only a little over 100 km from there to
Santiago, so the walk is long  enough to qualify for the compostela, but can be done in a week or less. The way is well-marked, there are three (or more) other refugios along the way, and some of the scenery is spectacular (i.e. the Ria de Vigo). It is only very lightly traveled, so even in this year, a Holy Year, it
is unlikely to be crowded. The CSJ puts out a guide book for the Portuguese route that would give you up to date information.

regards,

Bob S.