Carrying Ashes

Jilek, Glenn Glenn.JilekaFHWA.DOT.GOV
Fri Jan 23 08:41:17 PST 2004

What a wonderful thing to do, to carry the ashes of a loved one on a pilgrimage!!!

12 years ago, after my father died, I carried his ashes deep into the woods in the Daniel Boone forest here in Kentucky to a place I have always called "the quiet place" because you could hear a dew drop fall from the trees and hit the ground.  As I hiked in the woods I thought of the times he carried me as a child, and now I was carrying him for the last time.  Believe me, I had no concept of the weight at all.  I think it was one of those times that mind ruled over matter...that is probably what a this lady experienced also.

Glenn -----Original Message-----
From: athena [mailto:deannabowlingayahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 10:59 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: Advice/Regrets

Yes, I was appalled to think of over 30 pounds. I am at 15 without water and 20 with a maximum of water. That's my starting weight, with pills and potions. It will lighten as I go along. Just know that you will mail stuff ahead, or home.
I ran into a lady last year who was carrying her mother's ashes to Santiago in an urn, a heavy load indeed. I wonder whether anyone else on the list met her.  She was about my age, mid-60's.
Deanna

jim allen <jallen08aTAMPABAY.RR.COM> wrote:

Hola;
Must strongly support Bob Spenger regarding stopping at Huntto.  We felt it was one of the smartest decisions we made.  It was a hot day in August when we left SJPP.  In less than two hours we were stopping for the day.  We had been very busy getting to SJPP, left there at 3:30pm and hiked up, up, up to Huntto.  Sure made the next day easier even though it was a very hard day.  There were quite a few mosquitoes at Huntto.  They loved me.
Someone mentioned a 37 pound backpack.  We three eco-challenged our packing and got under 20lbs each.  It was fun trying to see just how light and small our backpacks could be, what we could do without.  After the Camino, in Madrid the philosophy was, "Two days in the same clothes?  NO PROBLEM."
Buen Camino,

Jim Allen, Seminole, Florida

  _____

Do you Yahoo!?