introduction

dionisio choperena dtxopeaSVN.NET
Sat Jan 10 07:42:11 PST 2004

Martha - thanks for introduction.  Good luck on your camino.  I hope you'll write and let us know about your experience.

Buen camino

Monica
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: MMH
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 11:34 PM
  Subject: introduction

  Hello,

  I just joined this list and understand I'm supposed to introduce myself. My name is Martha and I fell in love with el camino last year entirely by accident; I've never even met anyone who has done it. But now I'm planning on walking the whole thing this coming fall. This last summer I took a reconnaissance trip to Spain to figure out the logistics and to see if I could actually do it and I ended up totally and completely smitten with the whole idea.

  I flew into Madrid, and with my two children along (boys ages 10 and 12) took a train to San Sebastian where we rented a car and went exploring. We stayed in castles in Olite and Sos del Rey Catolico, and took day trips to Roncesvalles, Jaca and lots of nearby areas. Now I intend completely to walk the whole thing. I determined on the reconnaissance trip that I want to do it without my children; the time alone would be good for me, and although some people I suppose could do it with children, I decided I do not want to. They are not ready for the kind journey I intend to make. (I have a friend, another woman, who I'm hoping will join me.)

  I truly feel a tremendous need to do this thing. It's funny; I've not felt this way before and cannot explain why I have to do it. That's why I joined this list; I am smitten by el camino de Santiago, and simply have to go.

  I have lots of logistics questions still to clear up. But I kind of want to do this in the true spirit of a pilgrimage; with minimum possessions and an open mind. I look forward to joining this discussion.

  Martha Hankins