Spoiling the Camino

athena deannabowlingaYAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 7 13:47:43 PST 2004

I have had this concern also. I am afraid that the only real answer is one requiring personal responsibility of each pilgrim, the good old-fashioned Girl Scout responsibility of leaving  a place better than you found it, of transporting your own trash to a disposal area (Yes, ladies, even your toilet tissue! We do this as common practice in the desert where things do not deteriorate due to arid conditions), of not wandering off the trail and destroying the surrounding vegetation.  But I fear that many pilgrims have not been educated to take care of their own mess. I see this very much in Europe where trails are littered and dirty with human products. Of course the United States is no exemption. I am  fortunate that nearly all of my hiking is in a remote, well-maintained national park so my USA experience is somewhat cleaner. This is a most unusual instance, in which I feel  some pride in my own land, for once!

Deanna.

Am I in just an unusually dark mood, or do others share this concern? It seems that the Camino experience could even be destroyed because of gross over/misuse of it. What can be done to prevent this?

Glenn