Language

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Sun Feb 29 17:23:15 PST 2004

In a message dated 02/29/04 11:46:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
peregrinoaATT.NET writes:
I have seen at least one study that said that Spaniards have the lowest rate
of speaking foreign languages in Europe, so don't assume that everyone in
Spain speaks English.
Agree that we have had enough "scholars of linguistics" demonstrate their
erudtion
on listserve.  However, I want to assure first-timers that knowledge of
Spanish is not necessary to communicate most of the time if you want to ask for
something.  My Spanish is limited, but I had no difficulty in farmacias, asking
directions along the way, bars and elsewhere with folks that do not speak any
English.  Gestures and English words usually did the trick.  Howard Mendes, NYC