College Student seeks Camino Mentor

Frank Metcalf and Mary Doherty redtailaTELUS.NET
Mon Feb 23 14:28:22 PST 2004

I certainly agree with Bob Spengler that footgear is a matter of personal
choice. Having said that, I have no idea why--other than sheer received
tradition--most people do indeed wear boots instead of running shoes. Since
I live my life in runners, the (archived) post by a pilgrim who had
through-hiked the Appalachian Trail in trail runners caught my attention,
as I prepared, much more than did the postings of the "must wear boots"
legion. She commented on the Camino that, were she doing it again, she'd
use conventional road runners, instead of the trail variety, because the
Camino is so hard underfoot--on average, a dirt road. No part of it is
truly rugged nor difficult in the way that North American trails often are.
In any case, since you need only a very light pack--ours were 12 pounds
basic load, 15 with food and water--there's no need to subject your feet to
the weight, heat, sweat, and blisters that boots provide for those million
steps.

Our party of three--two women in their mid-50s and myself, 60 at the time
in May / June 2002--had a significantly easier time of it, all around, than
did most others we met, of all ages. Conditioning and light loads were
major factors, but so were the runners, as our lack of blisters suggested.
We helped many pilgrims with their feet--one of us is a doctor and
marathoner--and couldn't fail to observe that the awful "raw meat" blisters
seemed boot-related, as boots tend to make feet conform to them, rather
than the other way round with runners. (For the record, we used WrightSock
double-layer (in one sock) running socks; and as feet expand on long walks,
a larger shoe is needed.) Walking speed is no virtue in itself, but was an
inevitable byproduct of our kit--including no sticks, and not even
hipbelts, no need for either at 15 pounds max--but freshness at day's end
is a good thing, and the odd 40K day was a pleasant option.

For a young person in good health, I'd say just go light all around, the
trail and the hills are rather easy, the experience is incredibly rich but
it lies in the people, the places, the wonderful scenery, the language, the
vibrant cohort of pilgims you share your journey with, and however your
soul responds to the mysterious "thing" that makes this voyage unlike any
other. It's not about equipment, despite my two cents above. The other
night we attended a talk by a doctor who became a cancer patient, and I
memorized one of the quotes he used, since it applies to the Camino, even
to choices of kit and training for it. (We'll start walking from Le Puy to
Pamplona this May, so I'm immersed again.)  He said, "Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional."  Amen.

Frank Metcalf, Vancouver BC