Women on the Camino

Jose Cano josecanoaIIES.ES
Fri Feb 20 09:56:03 PST 2004

In the book, LAS PEREGRINACIONES A SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA, by Luis Vazquez
de Parga and others,( ISBN 84-235-1726-8) I have found several "important"
women who walked the Camino in the first days:

1065- Countess Richardis, married with Sigfrido Sponheim went to Jerusalem
and then to Santiago after her husband died
1110-Doña Urraca, Alfonso VI daughter
1112- Saint Paulina, with her husdband
1125- Matilde, daughter of Henry I of England, and married with emperor
Henry V of Germany
1149-Doña Sancha, with her priest
1170-Countess Sophie of Holland. She was the subject of a miracle during
her way back
11??- Saint Bona of Pisa
1270-Princess Ingrid and her friend Meltchild,  with many other women, went
to Santiago, Rome and Jerusalem. Afterwards she founded a convent in
Skenninge.
13??-Ingeborg, and her husband, Biger Person, (Saint  Brigitte´s parents)
13??-Saint Brigitte, with her husdband Ulpho Gumardson and many other men
and women
1325-Saint Elisabeth, Dionis of Portugal widow, perhaps she went again to
Santiago in 1335
1488-The “Reyes Catolicos”, Elisabeth and Ferdinand
1525- Isabel de Este, (married with Francesco Gonzaga). T here are doubts
if she arrived to Santiago
1537-Vittoria Colonna (There are doubts if she arrived to Santiago)

In Apendix 17, of the same book there are several women who obtained safe-
guard from Aragon Kingdom to facilitate their pilgrimage.

In Apendix 75 there is a list, with plenty of women looking for help during
xviii and xix centurys at the Saint Joan Hospital of Oviedo

The bok is in spanish. I do not thing it has been translated into english

If you want to go deeper in the particular storys, the book has plenty of