Reservations at Hountto

Jilek, Glenn Glenn.JilekaFHWA.DOT.GOV
Tue Feb 17 06:10:48 PST 2004

Many questions here...
How much in advance do you think one should make reservations?  Does anyone have a phone number? Do I need to get my French friend to make this reservation, or do they understand other languages (I can speak only German and English at this point...perhaps later some Spanish)?  Do you give a credit card to "hold" the reservation?  How many can this facility accommodate?

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Spenger [mailto:rspengeraearthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 12:03 AM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: Re: crossing the Pyrenees

It isn't necessary to go all the way from SJPP to Roncesvalles in one
day. An overnight stop at Hountto breaks it up into an easy first day
and a relatively moderate second day. It is necessary to get
reservations for the gîte at Hountto. In 2002, it was about 26 euros
and included an excellent dinner and breakfast.

It can be done in one day, of course. Most pilgrims that start from
SJPP do that, but it is a tough initiation and is discouraging to many
to have such a     strenuous first day.

regards,

Bob Spenger