Walking in the Pyrenees

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Sun Feb 15 23:38:57 PST 2004

Using motorized assistance (pack carrying service) may prevent entry
into many Refugios along the route, although I don't know specifically
if Roncevalles is one.

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu] On
Behalf Of Bill Clune
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 12:21 AM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: Walking in the Pyrenees

Mary Frances Harrison;

I shared your concern regarding the Camino from SJPdP To Roncesvalles
last year even though I had been underway for two months. The guide
books had painted a very difficult picture and being 64 I felt it might
be beyond my abilities. As a concession to my fears I rested a day in
SJPdP before departing and then left in the early morning darkness of 11
Aug. By daylight I met many other pilgrims some much older and many less
fit than I. It was hot and the top two springs were dry, but local
people were bringing water from SJPdP to the pilgrims and good cheer
abounded. Before expected, the roofs of the Abbey of Roncesvalles were
visible and by 1:00 PM I had arrived. It was much easier than expected,
certainly not the most difficult leg of the Camino.

Recommendations assuming you are sincere about undertaking a pilgrimage:
1. Train as often as you can before departure, you need to be able to
walk the distance, about 16 miles 2/3 of it up hill. If you are unable
to walk this distance comfortably, start in Pamplona for the 2nd day is
just as difficult. 2. Have your pack transported to Roncesvalles and
carry only water and your immediate needs. In inclement weather take the
road route. 3. Have faith. You can do it. You will find many things
along the Camino and pushing your comfort envelope is a requirement to
learning. There will be uncomfortable experiences, joyous times, rain
and times for tears; but these experiences will give you a satisfaction
and insight in to your very soul that cannot be described.

Very best wishes for a wonderful Camino and always remember you are not
alone.

Ultreia,
Bill