Santiago Pilgrimage

Eva evaaARTREMI.COM
Sun Feb 15 07:51:18 PST 2004

Mary Frances,

I don't think you need a lot of physical training before you start the
Camino. You will be getting more fit as you walk. However, I would
recommend taking your backpack (with its Camino contents) on a longer
walk before you leave - say 15 - 20 miles. You may decide you don't want
to carry all that weight. Also, make sure you have very comfortable
hiking boots.

I would highly recommend doing the climb over the Pyrenees to
Roncevalles. You will love it! The only unknown is the weather on your
first day, and this can make a big difference. It can be very hard or
even a little dangerous in some bad weather conditions. I walked that
route in August, and we were lucky to have perfect weather. But it is
pretty difficult since it's the highest climb of the Camino and it's on
your first day.

I hope the end of May is not as crowded as August. One way to be assured
to get a bed in an albergue is to start each day early and stop by 1 or
2:00 p.m. when the albergues open. In many towns (but not all) you can
also get a room in a private hotel.

-Eva

Glenview, IL