Re:       Santiago Pilgrimage

Mary Bolster BelizemcbaAOL.COM
Sun Feb 15 04:58:39 PST 2004

I want to add my thoughts to your email about the Camino. Last September, I
began the Camino from Roncavalles by myself. I am a woman in my fifties and had
spent a year getting over a serious back injury. So, I had reservations about
the Camino but was compelled to try. I strengthened my back, walked w/ a pack
in my suburban neighborhood ( could create quite a stir since no one walks )
and talked to people who had made the trip.
The first week was very difficult: for one reason I was alone and had to find
my bearings; also, I had to find my rhythm. I didn't stay in refugios during
that time b/c I didn't think I wanted to sleep w/ fifty people w/ two baths.
However, somewhere around Pamplona, after I had taken a rest day and purchased
some walking poles and better boots, I began moving into the experience. I met
some other pilgrims, began staying in refugios and building my confidence.
Not once did I have to sleep on a floor --except at a private refugio attended
by a church group. That night was one of the loveliest of the journey--ten of
us in a small, ancient monastery eating together ( whatever was prepared ) and
being very well cared for by the hosts.
My sense is that the journey begins when you decide to commit to it--that's
where the leap comes.
Buon Camino, Mary Catherine Bolster