Albergues

Jilek, Glenn Glenn.JilekaFHWA.DOT.GOV
Thu Feb 12 10:54:06 PST 2004

Rosina,
Thanks as always for your good information.
Please excuse my ignorance on this but what do you mean by  "the casco" when you wrote..." As I remember, most of the related places were in the casco itself."

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Rosina Lila [mailto:Blaroliaaol.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 12:08 PM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: Albergues

Hello you all,
The municipal authorities of O Pino, Arzua and Melida have reported on the preparations underway to accommodate the increased number of pilgrims expected this Xacobean year in their communities. In conjunction with the Galician Xunta and the Spanish Government Ministry of Culture they have begun to outfit schools and sports arenas to provide ample and satisfactory facilities for pilgrims passing by.
They have also suggested that pilgrims be asked to contribute 1 Euro (1.33 US Dolls.) to the albergue where they may spend the night.
-When I translated the articles written by the commentator who walked the eight routes of the Camino in Galicia I noticed that he mentioned his suspicions that, on occasion, foreign pilgrims were given preference over Spanish pilgrims  and he thought that the reason might be that, as a rule,  the only pilgrims that do make a contribution to the public albergues are those from outside Spain.
There are, of course, a great many quasi-private albergues that do require a fixed contribution, 3 or 4 Euros as a rule. Some, like the lovely one in Estella, will include a nice breakfast for 7 Euros in total.
The impressive albergue run by the Cistercian nuns in Santo Domingo de la Calzada suggests a contribution of 3 Euros, or 5 if breakfast be included, but nuns being nuns, they often overlook it.

In Santiago itself another public (free) albergue is beinc completed, the San Lazaro albergue which is slated for juveniles (teenagers and such) but will take in those pilgrims that cannot find a vacancy either in Monte del Gozo or the "Minor Seminary". The possibility of making available for the purpose the "Major Seminary" in Azabacheria Square (the real name of which is "Inmaculada Square) is being contemplated.
Several quasi-private albergues opened last year, including the "Aquarius" one which is very well situated since it is close to the center of town, and religious orders opened three more.
In addition, when I was in Santiago in January I saw  leaflets and notices displayed in the office of tourism information which advertised special rates for pilgrims of as little as 6 Euros per night. As I remember, most of the related places were in the casco itself.
I may have picked up some of the leaflets; if I find them I'll post the information.
Warm regards,
Rosina