[Gocamino] Nice News....and fog

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Sat Dec 18 18:24:18 PST 2004

Hello you all,
Soupy fog and intermittent rain dampened (literally) the spectacular
fireworks cum music that had been painstakingly planned for Friday night as a way of
waving "so long" to the Holy Xacobean Year.
....Well, pride cometh before a fall.... or, "one proposes and God disposes".
Nevertheless, thousands of umbrella-sheltered, raincoats clod Santiagoans,
pilgrims and visitors crowded the four squares bordering the Cathedral and the
Alameda.  Of the various cities that had planned to mark the occasion with
coordinated fireworks and music  Santiago got the worst of the weather.

But, today, Saturday, a special Mass was celebrated in the Cathedral to honor
the albergue "hospitaleros" and the hundreds of other volunteers who,
throughout all the routes of the Camino, made the efforts of pilgrims meaningful and
welcome throughout the year.  They came from all over Spain for the  special
Mass which was celebrated by the Archbishop and all the Canonigos of the
Cathedral.
Unless one has been a "Hospitalero", like our dear Ana Young, one can never
know the extraordinary efforts, patience and good will  that such voluntary
undertaking requires.
Therefore, I, for one, raise my glass to the hospitaleros and other Camino
volunteers with a deeply sentimental and affectionate gratitude.
Big hug go you all!
Rosina