[Gocamino] Winter Camino

Sue Kenney sue.kenney at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 8 10:59:09 PST 2004

Jeff,

I just realized that you might really appreciate a piece I just wrote for my
newsletter that refers to my experience walking alone on the Camino. I
thought the other members might enjoy this too.

Sue

Stories from the Path
This Month's Virtue is Grace
 A virtue represents moral excellence, honour and integrity. The virtue of
grace has proven important to me as a leadership quality I have learned,
both on and off the Camino.

Grace
Simone Weil said, "We must not wish for the disappearance of our troubles
but the grace to transform them." On the Camino, I wanted to deal with my
troubles so that I could understand my higher purpose in life and begin to
actively create my reality. After a few days of walking, I noticed that over
a period of 6 to 8 hours of thinking, the same thoughts and ideas repeated
in my mind. To make matters worse I tried to control these thoughts. They
were centered around fear, guilt, envy and self pity leaving me disgusted
with the banality of it all. I desperately wanted to get past this.

The activity of walking as a simple pilgrim in the grandeur of the universe,
helped me to develop a sense of humility. This lead me to a state where I
was willing to freely surrender to the Camino; to the way. In an effort to
reach a higher state of awareness I embraced a form of walking meditation
and practiced self love every day.  Soon a ritual developed. At the end of
each day I would spend the last kilometer walking in a state of gratitude.
By repeating this ritual daily, at the end of the 780 km journey to Santiago
I felt as though I had reached a state of grace; something I had never
experienced before in my life. Through grace all my troubles seemed to
transform into gifts and I could begin to see my purpose unfold.

Living withGrace
On the Camino I learned, lessons are not good or bad, positive or negative;
I am thankful, they just are.
Living with Intention
I have the grace to transform my troubles.