[Gocamino] Am I getting all the messages?

Sue Kenney sue.kenney at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 8 10:53:33 PST 2004

Jeff,

I am envious of you. My first Camino was in November/December 2001 and in fact,
tomorrow is the anniversary day of my arrival back home. I walked fast; from
SJPP to Santiago in 29 days. That's because it was cold and so I didn't spend a
lot of time resting at the side of the path.

Be sure to have the warmest sleeping bag possible. I found that although the
temperature went just below freezing at night, it was the dampness that really
bothered me. I would get a cold feeling that rested in my bones and often it
took up to 5 minutes to stop shivering when I got into bed. The showers are
usually ceramic tiled and that makes for a very cold experience too.

Bring layers of light clothing. I found I would start the day off with 4 layers,
by afternoon, I was down to 1 or 2 layers and then in the late afternoon, I
would be adding layers again. At the same time, my nose ran constantly!

The days are short since the sun rises at 8:30am and set around 5:30pm. I walked
in the dark all the time and loved it. I lost my flashlight in SJPP and didn't
have one for the entire walk; contrary to what others believe, it can be done
without modern conveniences.

It's also difficult to figure out when to do laundry because the heat is turned
off in many of the refugios at 10pm and doesn't come on until 6 or 7 the next
morning. You can't be sure your clothes will dry and it's a drag to have to
carry wet clothes; I did that once.

Any other questions, just email me on or off line.

Buen Camino, pilgrim.

Sue

sue.kenney at sympatico.ca
www.suekenney.ca