Just back from Spain

Jeffrey Crawley jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK
Sun Aug 8 02:42:51 PDT 2004

But not from the Camino.

I was a little surprised that more was not made about St James' day but,
while shopping in the Carrefour supermacardo noticed that they have
decorated their bags with a design of four scallop shells radiating out from
the centre of a circle and the words XACEBEO 2004 Galicia.

I was explaining to my daughters what it meant when the young checkout
operator asked, in perfect English if I knew of the Camino. When my eldest
said I'd walked from France to Santiago twice she smiled and told us she'd
walked the VDLP last summer vacation (she's a law student at Cadiz
University) but had to work this year.

What pleased me most was, as she handed me my bill and change she smiled and
instead of saying goodbye said Ultreia! instead.

Just before Spain I was walking in Ireland with a fellow Caminoista when we
found there were yellow arrows painted on the road! A fledgling Camino route
from the Mountains of Mourne perhaps?

Seems you just can't escape "The Way"

Regards to all and I hope northern Spain has been cooler than Andalusia.

Jeffrey