Matamoros statue in the Cathedral

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Apr 30 13:52:32 PDT 2004

Charles,
About five years ago I was one of ten thousand or so signatories that commenced a campaign to request religious authorities to remove the Matamoros figure from the inside of Catholic churches. We made our request on the grounds that the message conveyed by the war-like image negated the essence of the Christian doctrine as given to us by Christ: "Love your enemies" and "Forgive them for they know not what they do".
Pursuant to that campaign the Pamplona Cathedral removed the Matamoros that used to be behind the altar, and several other churches followed suit.
This was long before 9/ll and its aftermath. We didn't, and do not, have any political or cultural motives; we were simply motivated by the desire to have our churches represent the fundamental tenets of Christianity.
Your insinuation that Spaniards may have fallen prey to pussillanimity is not borne out by the facts.  The civilian authorities in Santiago that occupy the monumental building on Obradoiro Square, straight opposite to the Cathedral, have stated that the large Matamoros statue atop the building has a historical significance and will remain where it is.
In my view, the Spaniards demonstrated a significant amount of civic courage by voting out a government who ignored the popular will.  Isn't that the substantive purpose of a democracy?
Regards,
Rosina