Matamoros statue in the Cathedral

Charles Hansen VeloTrainaPEOPLEPC.COM
Fri Apr 30 10:28:19 PDT 2004

It would seem on the surface that the Peruvian statue should be the opposite, of the invaders being expelled!

Charles

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jen Seeler
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 1:16 PM
  Subject: Re: Matamoros statue in the Cathedral

  Santiago Matamoros images are all over Spain.  Some like that in Logrono cannot be relocated.   It is part of the Spanish history/mythology that Santiago returned to help free the country from "the Moors."

  This image has been carried to the new world.  In January I was in Peru and saw a "Santiago Mata-Inca" statue in the  cathedral in Cuzco, Santiago helping the "conquistadores" subjugate and kill the native Inca population.

       jean seeler