San Anton albergue

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Thu Apr 29 07:10:14 PDT 2004

Hello you all,
Ovidio Campo has announced that the San Anton albergue will be ready to
receive pilgrims on May 1st. and will remain open until the end of September.
The albergue is located in the hauntingly beautiful San Anton Monastery
remains about which much has been written here.
There are 12 (bunk) beds, cooking facilities, a sitting room and a cold water
shower.  Mr Campo is a very amiable person and, unlike Majarin, the albergue
is very tidy.
The ruins have not, at all, been altered  for the purpose.  Heavy green
rubber curtains serve as walls where needed, and the albergue is open from 7:00
a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
San Anton is at the edge of Castrojeriz which itself has an incredible
albergue within and by the tall imposing ruins of an ancient monumental monastery.
I would think that  albergue to be  probably the closest one to what albergues
and pilgrim refuges must have been in medieval times.
For me, personally,  Castrojeriz and Viana are the two towns most imbued with
Camino historical feeling.  I just can't get enough of them.
Warm regards,
Rosina