intro of new member (14 days to spend wisely)

Frank Metcalf and Mary Doherty redtailaTELUS.NET
Mon Apr 19 18:40:26 PDT 2004

Hi Alberto,

I agree with Rosina that starting from Leon with two weeks for the
pilgrimage might be pushing it a bit. It depends on your experience,
conditioning, and pack weight. For a comparative example, we walked that
part comfortably in in 11 days, but had been under way before Leon for18
days, with lots of prior training and 12-15 lb packs. That's very different
from starting out cold. I'm sure you could do it, but Rosina's right, you
want to be able to enjoy the daily experience since that *is* the
pilgrimage.

However, O Cebreiro might be a little too close, given your timetable. We
arrived in Santiago (via Samos) only 6 days after leaving Ruitelan, which
is about where the climb up to O Cebreiro begins. The climb up isn't nearly
as daunting as it's cracked up to be, just a bracing hike in the hills (in
quite a storm for us) yet a memorable camino experience. I would suggest
beginning at Astorga if possible, or else Ponferrada. Astorga was 9 days
away from Santiago for us, and the beautiful ascent from there to the Iron
Cross was one of the highlights of the camino.

The other suggestion I have is that you might consider walking onward the 3
days to Finisterre, since that was, for us, such an incredible physical end
to the pilgrimage: the empty ocean horizon, stretching off toward the
Americas. But that would mean shortening your time on the main part, before
Santiago, a bit, and you wouldn't want to just arrive in Santiago, and then
have to catch a plane, without having two or three days to enjoy that
special city.

You'll just have to keep coming back, as Rosina said. Walking to Burgos is
not to be missed, and so is the sublime meseta between Burgos and Leon.
After our walk from Le Puy to Pamplona this spring (leaving Vancouver May
9), we're going to hop the bus to Santiago via favorite points in between,
before visiting friends in La Coruna and Bilbao. Spain gets in your blood.

Frank Metcalf