Children on Camino??

Robert Spenger rspengeraEARTHLINK.NET
Tue Apr 6 22:28:22 PDT 2004

MJ,

I don't have the Lozano map so I can't say for sure, but it probably
is. Actually, I misspelled it based on my usual reference, the Michelin
Touring and Motoring Atlas for France. It should have been Hountto, but
I have also seen it elsewhere as Huntto. It is 5 or 6 km up the road
from SJPP. Pilgrims that I met in the evening at Ostabat went directly
to Hountto the next day, just stopping in SJPP long enough to register
and do a bit of shopping. If one arrives at SJPP early enough in the
day, say by 2 P.M., there is time to walk to Hountto the same day. The
road is paved but steep and does not have a lot of traffic. There is
considerable elevation gain, so it means a lot less climbing on the
second day, going over the pass to Roncesvalles. For anyone doing the
Route Napoleon as just a one day excursion, it would be a convenient
starting point. It is probably an inexpensive taxicab ride from SJPP -
less than four miles. It is a gîte not a refugio, so it is for tourists
and pilgrims alike. The cost in 2003 was 26 euros and it included
dormitory facilities (six to a room ), with a full bath for each of the
six-person rooms. It also included a fine dinner and a substantial
breakfast. I believe that it is also possible to just stay the night
without purchasing the meals, but I don't know the price for that. It
is strongly recommended that reservations be made. I don't have the
telephone number at hand, but it has been posted on this list a number
of times. Pilgrims can often get their reservations made by the people
working at the pilgrim office in SJPP, although it is better to have
them made earlier, especially at peak times. I was fortunate to have
help with that at the inn in Ostabat. A English-speaking member of the
innkeeper's family called Hountto on her cell phone and made a
reservation for me.

regards,

Bob Spenger