After the Camino

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Tue Sep 30 19:48:44 PDT 2003

After 48 hours in Santiago, I flew to Barcelona, where I visited friends for a couple of days, and
then flew to Madrid, where I spent a night and then flew home the next morning.  I was more or
less ready to be home at the end of the trip.  I think that at the end of most long trips, it is time
to go home at the end.  That said, a little more traveling after the camino felt OK to me.  For
me, the camino ended when I got into the taxi in Santiago to go to the airport, and I was
transformed into a tourist.

If you have plenty of time, I suggest that you arrange your schedule such that you have a
couple of days at home before you head out, to make any last-minute arrangements and leave
in a calm state of mind, and then plan to arrive in Santiago a week or so before the end of your
leave.  Unless you have prior experience with long distance walking, I suggest you plan 20
km/day, so adjust your distance to match the time allocated.  Whatever you do, plan and
adjust your thoughts to be flexible.  The camino is not likely to be whatever you expect.

Richard