Camino in Winter

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Tue Sep 30 10:32:08 PDT 2003

In a message dated 9/30/2003 12:59:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jnollaraLIBRARY.CALTECH.EDU writes:
Winter is tempting, despite the sharp chill of the Meseta and the rains of
Navarre and Galicia; this is the best season for appreciating the grandeur and
immensity of the landscape.  The cold, often accompanied by damp ness, would
not be a drawback if one could be absolutely certain of finding somewhere
comfortable and well heated for the night."
I will concede that the winter may appeal to some people who enjoy bleakness
and chilly weather, but personally I prefer the glory of spring when flowers
are in bloom like the endless fields of poppies or the harvest season in the
fall.  I suppose empty or cold refugios (those that are open in the dead of
winter) and lack of crowds may also be appealing to some.

However, part of the experience for me was the camraderie of other pilgrims
despite the larger numbers of people in the warmer weather.  As advice for
future pilgrims, I would really hesitate to encourage January Caminos.

My final point on this belabored subject: there must be a reason for why
people are inclined to go in warmer weather and that is that the Camino is just
more enjoyable then.  One caveat though, despite the popularity of summer as a
time to go, you have to consider that many people, including students,  tend to
take summer vacations and go on the Camino that time of year since it is more
convenient for extended travel for them.
Howard Mendes, NYC