Travel tips

Jill Hill jillaBIGPOND.NET.AU
Thu Sep 18 14:47:58 PDT 2003

whether to take my tried and true running shoes ( they are not
>Gortex ) that I run in three days a week. I thought perhpas I could take
two pair
>of them, so that if one pair is wet, I can dry them out while wearing the
>second pair.

Dear Mary,
I have walked the camino (from Ronscessvales) twice, once in boots and
during March/April this year in running shoes - and will never use anything
but the running shoes again.  It rained heavily on quite a few days but the
runners seemed to "walk dry" very quickly.  I had no problems with the
rocks and rough terraine and felt more sure footed in the light shoes - far
fewer stumbles than when wearing boots.  Go with what feels comfortable for
you.  I wore all artificial Thorlo hiking socks because my experience with
wool/cotton is that it retains moisture.  For me the secret to avoiding
blisters is wearing dry socks - even if it means you change them several
times a day.  They were my one indulgence - I took four pairs.
And it is all wonderful!
Jill.