Bars

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Thu Sep 18 07:35:15 PDT 2003

Bars in Spain are what we might call "coffee shops". In most European
countries these establishment also sell drinks.  They are called "bars" because of
the wooden partition that in olden times used to separate the meal purchasers
from those preparing them.
In the legal profession we are admitted "to the bar" (when I became a lawyer
my then young son asked me it that meant that thenceforth I would be allowed
to drink).  The expression also refers to the wooden plank that used to
separate the judge from the spectators at a trial; lawyers were the only ones
permitted to go in front -before- the "bar"; hence the expression.