[PMX:##] Santo Domingo de Silos

Carlos Mentley mentleyaERSKINE.EDU
Tue Sep 16 06:46:42 PDT 2003

Dear Lindsay & David,

In the tiny pueblo of Santo Domingo de Silos there are five places to stay!
The Hostal Las Cruces, right across the street from the entrance to the
monastery chapel, is comfortable and inexpensive.  The Hotel / Hostal Santo
Domingo de Silos, right down the road about 50 meters, is nicer; the hostal
section of it is just as inexpensive; and the people who run it are just a
joy.  Good restaurant too!  (I have stayed in Santo Domingo with small groups
many times in the last six years, and I always end up looking forward to
staying at one of these two places.)

Madrid to Burgos: five trains daily and one night train.  Regional trains
depart from Madrid Chamartin at 8:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 5:30 p.m., take four
hours to get to Burgos, and cost 19.55 euros.  The Diurno leaves at 10 a.m.,
arrives at 1:25 p.m., and costs 22 euros (tourista class ticket).  And the
Talgo--probably the best bet--leaves at 2:50 p.m., arrives at 6:06 p.m., and
costs 23 euros (tourista).  The talgo, with room to walk and stretch and with
a cafeteria car, makes me not even consider taking a bus.

Carlos Mentley
Erskine College