A few specific questions for the experienced

Christopher Heap christopher.heapaROGERS.COM
Tue Sep 16 06:42:38 PDT 2003

Hi Marianne,

I did the walk from Santiago to Finisterre earlier this year in three days as follows:

Day 1 ~ Santiago de Compostela to Negreira (18.5 km)

Day 2 ~ Negreira to Olveiroa (28.5 km)

Day 3 ~ Olveiroa to Finisterre (27.3 km)

There are other ways of doing it, but this is the most practical as there are only the two albergues on the way. It's nearly all peaceful walking along footpaths, country lanes and quiet roads, through interesting little villages and lovely rural scenery.

I would think seriously about taking the time to do it. It was the one of the highlights of my Camino. After the crowds that gradually build up towards the end, and the hectic socializing of Santiago, this three day walk was a chance to unwind; a chance for peace, quiet companionship and reflection. I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Watching the sunset from Cape Finisterre was a very emotional and spiritual moment for me - an awe-inspiring finale. It brought my whole journey from Le Puy into focus and helped to make sense of it.

Chris

P.S. I don't want to spoil it but some of the women had been warned not to walk alone as there were some strange characters infesting the area. Our little group stayed more or less together and we all looked out for each other. If anything this added to the feeling of camaraderie.