Traveling in silence

athena deannabowlingaYAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 5 00:43:53 PDT 2003

Also, I was thinking that silence, approached as a "rule" or a "vow" on the Camino could sometimes be a violation of charity. Others may want to talk, may need to talk. I ran into one young man who happened to be very lonely that day. It would have been unkind of me to refuse to talk or listen because I had a "vow".  Even in a Religious House, the practice of silence is broken when keeping it would be a violation of charity. (You've got an ex-nun here! )
Paul is right. You will find much silence on the Camino, especially if you value it. Don't let the search for silence become your prison.

Deanna

Paul Newfield <pcn01aWEBDSI.COM> wrote:
For me, part of the joy of the camino was the incredible brotherhood that develops among the pilgrims.