Portuguese Way

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Oct 31 12:14:50 PST 2003

Hello you all,
With her permission, I am reproducing a message sent by an Oklahoma pilgrim,
Judy Wallop, to another list:

"The first week of October I walked with a friend the Camino Portuguese.  Tui
to Santiago.  I am in my mid sixties. I thought it was a beautiful walk.
There is one bad section, an industrial area, on the first day near Porrino and a
section out of Redondela near the sea, but very beautiful.
I did not stay in an albergue.  I prefer small hotels and did stay in a
couple of paradors. The albergues I saw were very new and very nice.  The coastal
area is prosperous and the towns are well kept with beautiful gardens.  The
grapes were nice and also the figs! The main meal of the day was always fresh
fish with one exception and not many 'French fries'. This was basically the menu
del dia!
I had The Confraternity Book.  The information is more limited than the
Camino Frances but it is not wall to wall pilgrims. I saw approximately 5 pilgrims
on the walk.  Personally, I thought it was beautiful and would suggest it to
anyone that does not have time or strength to walk SJ to Santiago. I have
walked from SJ to Leon.
If you are looking for a group to join and many companions this may not be
the place for you, but with the numbers for next year sounding so huge it may be
the perfect place.
I did not get lost or hungry and carried very little food, just a good supply
of water.  I am sure if it gets heavy traffic next year the bars will appear.
 Most of the churches were open and there were some very interesting sights.
Padron is a very interesting place.  Mass at the church of Santiago was
beautiful. We asked and were taken to the altar to see the mooring stone. It was
very interesting.
The way into Santiago is through the woods and then you are in the city. It
was very peaceful!
All in all it was a great journey.  I would suggest it without reservation.
Judy Wallop
Oklahoma City
judithwwallopaaol.com       "