return to list

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Sun Oct 26 23:53:55 PST 2003

Two of my friends, Keith and Maureen Young walked the Camino with a cart
(trolley in English-English) a few years ago, and were quite well known
in Confraternity St James and Camino circles for awhile.  They may be
the pilgrims the Brazilian saw.  If you have any questions the Youngs
can probably be reached through the Confraternity of St James Office.
officeacsj.org.uk

I believe I heard about your effort when I was at Rabanal this last
month.  At least I remember some pilgrims discussing cart pushers, so if
it wasn't you then some others were doing it as well.

Luck for the future.

Jim Eyskens
-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu] On
Behalf Of Tom Priestly
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 10:37 PM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: return to list

I am back in Canada now after 9 weeks in Europe, three of them on the
Camino francès. A *sincere* word of thanks to all who gave me advice
before I left for Europe, plus a similar acknowledgment to the Go Camino
archives. We (Klaus, my co-pilgrim from Austria and I) had several
problems and only walked 300 km, but none of the problems had to do with
practical matters (feet, equipment, and so on): I learned all I needed
before going.

I searched the archive for "cart" and found, from 9th October last,
"While I was walking this past June, a man with a push cart passed me by
as I sat eating an orange. I was informed later that there were two
older gentleman with push carts making their way through the camino."
This may be a reference to Klaus and me. We had one cart between us
which we pulled from SJPP to Viana (first 10 days of September), and
which we could have pulled the whole way but for the problems alluded to
above. (Reason for having a cart: Klaus has shoulder problems). The cart
went through several modifications as we went, and we now know a lot
about (a) how to design a serviceable cart for walking the Camino, (b)
how to make sensible choices between the walkers' paths and the
cyclists' routes. Sometime this fall/winter I will write this up and
have the info available for anyone who wishes to walk but does not wish
to, or simply can not, carry a backpack.

A freelance videofilm maker from Brazil, making a film about pilgrims
for a Brazilian TV station, who had walked the Camino several times,
told us that she had heard about/seen one other cart-pulling pilgrim,
and that a few years ago. Any more sightings of pilgrims with carts,
please? I'd like to compare notes . . .

Thanks again!
Tom Priestly
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada