Santiago Cathedral changes

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Thu Oct 16 16:06:41 PDT 2003

Hi Sally,
I wouldn't presume to ever qualify someone as a tourist or not.
I do understand, though, that the Cathedral means to make the rather small church more available for those who, in fact, do go to there for religious observances, or to pray.  Because the Cathedral is so very famous, many visitors go into it just to look at the famous images, etc., perhaps these are the ones referred to as "tourists".
As the archbishop stated, the purpose of the Cathedral has always been  to serve as a place of religious worship and not as a museum.
I might add that the closing of the Cathedral to tourists , except for a few hours a day, has received the thunderous approval not only of the Santiago residents, but of the whole of Spain, as reported in the Galician newspapers.
Warm regards,
Rosina
ps.  The authorities estimate that at the very least twelve million people will go to Santiago next year.