Odds and ends on the Camino.

Jeffrey Crawley jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK
Mon Oct 13 16:25:36 PDT 2003

I think that the Furelos Crucifix was the single most important object (as opposed to the people met or the places visited) I witnessed on the whole Camino and summed up for me how much one person, albeit a special one, was prepared to endure and suffer on our behalf.  In a way it also symbolises how much some pilgrims suffered and, in some cases, even died on their way to Santiago.

As I've said before, we were told the there was a dual symbolism: that of Christ's last days in an earthly form and of our last days before reaching Santiago.

Jeffrey
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Elizabeth Boylston-Morris
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 8:46 PM
  Subject: Re: Odds and ends on the Camino.

  Jeffrey,
  Many Christian authors, from St. Augustine in the Fourth Century to Fray Luis de Leon more than a thousand years later, have written that when we contemplate Christ we contemplate our own soul. Images encourage contemplation and I guess a reflection of our inner feelings.
  When I first saw the Furelo Crucifix I was struck by the infinite generosity and compassion that it exuded. The English-and-Spanish-speaking  French priest that was caring for the church at the time told me that the image was meant to convey the essence of Christianity:  the love of Jesus for us above all else, extending a helping hand even from the agony of the Cross.
  Liz