De Colores: Cursillo

David Hough caminooakappleaATT.NET
Mon Oct 13 08:03:09 PDT 2003

Sorry to have mentioned Cursillo in passing without saying more about it;
fewer folks than I thought knew what I was referring to.     The Cursillo
movement is active
in the Catholic church in most of the world, and in much of the Episcopal church
in the US, and in many other Protestant denominations as well.

Cursillo is a Christian renewal movement that started in 1944 on Mallorca
as preparation for a pilgrimage to Santiago - a time when the pilgrimage had
a different character than nowadays as a social phenomenon, though it was
perhaps recognizably the same on an individual basis.
See http://cursillos.ca/en/histoire.htm for an overview.

I would characterize Cursillo as an opportunity for people active in a
church to be re-energized for evangelism (very broadly defined)
by an infusion of the Holy Spirit.
Links to many national Cursillo home pages can be found at
http://cursillos.ca/en/liens.htm
The best place for further inquiries would be one's own church or diocese.

The Cursillo I attended was organized by http://www.sccursillo.org/

One of the ongoing sustaining activities is periodic reunion meetings called
Ultreya.    And I think that is the end of the explicit connections that I
know about
to the pilgrimage to Santiago.   Suffice to say though, that it would
probably still be a good way for people active in a church to prepare for
a pilgrimage, and from my own experience I can vouch for its value,
taken after a pilgrimage,  in answering the question "what next."

David Hough