pilgrims of a lesser kind

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Mon Oct 13 00:33:34 PDT 2003

I know it's possible to be both pilgrim and tourist during your journey
across the Camino, sometimes simultaneously.  I wrote a short piece for
family and friends when I came home in 2001, and titled it 'Tourist or
Pilgrim'.  The sum it up, I started as a tourist but became a pilgrim,
somewhere around Logrono, and probably became a tourist again between
Santiago and Cape Finisterre.  During my two stints as a 'Hospitalero' I
saw plenty of tourists, pilgrims, tourist-pilgrims and pilgrim-tourists
and many who had no idea what they were or why they were on the Camino.
As for the coach people I feel sorry they are missing out on the total
package, notwithstanding the large fees they paid for their
'pilgrimage'.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jeffrey Crawley
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 11:13 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: pilgrims of a lesser kind

If there WERE just two tyoes of people on the Camino things would be
very boring!

This year there did seem to be an increase in the number of people who
were dong what was derisively called the Camino Americano (unfair to
Americans as I saw Brits and Germans doing the same thing) rather than
the Camino Frances where "Pilgrims" do the Camino - sometimes Pamplona
to Santiago in 15 days and sometimes walking as much as 7 miles a day!

Are they Pilgrims?

Then there was the elderly English couple ( he said he'd retired 18
years ago so your guess at their age is as good as mine) who had walked
from Arles to Burgos in the early part of this year and resumed their
walk from Burgos to Santiago in September.  They carried their day's
supplies and their luggage went by coach.  Were they Tourists?

Although there was much fun made of the coach pilgrims I must admit I
felt more sorry for them that they did not have the time, ability or
imagination and faith  to undertake a "true" pilgrimage. Although I
wonder what value they held their multi-stamped credential in.

September was a busy month on the Camino but they did not get in the way
too much and there is still (at present) room for all.

Jeffrey