Xacobeo and Football and pilgrims of a lesser kind

Bortolo Di, C.A. (Carli) CA.Di.BortoloaLELYSTAD.NL
Mon Oct 13 02:02:01 PDT 2003

Dear Fr. Gerry.

Indeed, there are two kinds of people on the Camino: pilgrims and tourist as
I refer to them. But you can't see the difference on their looks, nor on the
way they travel. The difference is in their hearts, in their motives to do
the Camino. From their behaviour often you can tell.

On my Camino, which I had to break off due to severe tendinitis, I met both
of them, pilgrims and tourists, as well pilgrims saying to be tourists and
tourists saying to be pilgrims.
In Huntto, 4 km after St Jean Pied de Port, I Came across some problem with
my left foot and decided not to climb the route Napoleon, but to walk via
Valcarlos, the route the cyclists take. So I had to walk downhill,
"upstream" the flow of pilgrims and tourists. In some cases the difference
was obvious: tourist looking with some contempt, seeming to think "See, it
is not for everybody", and pilgrims, asking if there was a problem, giving
me some comfort and wishing me strength.

The evening before at the refugio, I talked with some colleague Dutch
people. On my motives for the Camino (6 weeks of introspection) they
commented: "So you are a real pilgrim." When they heard of my trouble they
offered to divide the contents of my backpack on their own. At least in
their hearts they were pilgrims.

It has been said more often: everyone does the Camino on his own way.
Therefore, if you have the opportunity and the ability, do the Camino on
your way. In my vision you are a pilgrim (already).

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

the system manager.

www.lelystad.nl