The Camino as inclusive

Sally Haden hadense1948aHOTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 12 12:10:58 PDT 2003

>From: David Hough <caminooakappleaATT.NET>

>As a final note, I continued my camino this weekend in a most wonderful way
>by making my Cursillo.    For all those cursillistas here... De Colores!
>For those of you making your Cursillo soon, let me know so I can light
>a candle for you!

Thanks for your comments, David.  But what is a "cursillo"?  According to my
Spanish dictionary it is a "short course", but that doesn't help...

As regards the changes in the Camino, this discussion that has been going on
about the 'lesser' and 'greater' sort of pilgirm, and the 'deterioration' of
the Camino in the last few years...  I just think that surely the Camino, if
it is to continue to be a living thing, must continue to reflect how the
rest of the world is.  And from what I have heard about all the negative
things and the positive, it is managing to do that very well.! Our world is
the only one that can produce the Camino of our time... and none can ever
know what is in the heart of a pilgrim, a tourist, a hotellier, a
restauranteur...  Only God knows.  I think one of the greatest joys of my
life has been the tiny ability I have been able to foster in myself
occasionally,  to be able to listen to and  tolerate and learn from heaps of
different sorts of people, rich and poor, secure and insecure, upper class
and lower class, black and white, atheist and religious fanatic, sane and
insane....

I hope that I will discover the Camino to be a patchwork of humanity when I
get there, an inclusive place vibrant with many sorts of things and
experiences.

Sally
Lancashire, UK