Numbers of pilgrims over time

davidson davidsonaETAL.URI.EDU
Sun Oct 12 08:09:59 PDT 2003

The Archicofradia published the journal called "Compostela" from 1948 to 1974.
Then they began to publish it again in 1993 or so (I'll have to check that
date). the journal appeared irregularly and was badly numbered, but there may
have been about 80 issues in total from 1948 to 1974.

When Maryjane Dunn & I were doing research in the early 1990s in Compostela,
we managed to look at most of the copies. Our research has found no copies of
these old issues in the US.

In most of the issues they gave some statistics, especially during the
Jubilee/Holy years.  I don't have the numbers in front of me, but here is a
sample:
in the Oct. 1954 issue, the Archicofradia announced 155,000 pilgrims from
Janury - 31 July.  [this would mean pilgrims on foot as well as in bus
groups]. If i remember correctly, 1954 was a holy year and another holy year
didn't come until 1965;this 1965 year got great amounts of publicity in Spain.

Remember that the Compostela Cathedral has received an annual "voto", or
offering from the Spanish government which dates back to the mists of legends.
So the Confraternity's journal dutifully announced the Offerings each year,
and calculated the numbers of people who came for the official ceremonies --
many in bus groups.One year the military came on horseback.

Linda DAvidson