New CD Rom

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Oct 10 15:14:16 PDT 2003

Hello you all,
Brandebar, a histotic-literary-cultural group associated with the Galician
daily "El Correo de Galicia" has produced a gorgeous Cd Rom called "The Goal of
the Camino". The CD contains 360 degrees photographs of the Santiago Cathedral
and its environs with a voice over.
The virtual visit commences at the Apostle's tomb in the crypt with
visualizations of the original tomb, its restauration throughtout the centuries and a
detailed description of the present mausoleum and the symbolism of its details.

The "visit" then goes to Iris Flavia, site of the original  placing of the
Apostle's remains, and its church as well as the Chapel of San Ildefonso.
Then it goes to the Cathedral of Santiago with a lavish reproduction of the
old choir.  (By the way, the original stone choir created by Maestro Mateo has
been restored and it is exhibited presently in the Cathedral's museum).  The
virtual visit proceeds to the Cathedral's Corticella chapel,  the Portico de
Gloria and deep into the bowels of the Cathedral before extending to the
Quintana Praza and the Episcopal Palace.
-As we know, Santiago de Compostela became a metropolitan site of national
renown because of the offices of the XII century's archbishop Gimenez, whose
influence is proclaimed in the architectural treasures of the city, particularly
in the Episcopal Palace.-
The CD Rom's virtual pilgrimage also includes that Xacobean gem, the
Monastery of the Monxes in Sobrado, (which today shelters in its atria delighted
pilgrims who walk the Northern Way and the Primitive Way),  Armenteria,  San
Martino Pinario and ends with a stop at the Basilica of Santa Maria en Pontevedra.
Because of its newness, I  very much doubt that the CDRom is available
outside of Galicia at this time.
But.... Linda, Kat, Elyn, Maryjane:  I'm going to Santiago on November 25th
for Thanksgiving and will be happy to pick up a copy for you. Let me know.
Unlike DVDs and Video tapes, CDRoms produced in Europe  are compatible with
computers in the U.S. of A. and, I guess, everywhere.
Warm regards,
Rosina