Camino - Texts

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Sat Oct 4 09:13:18 PDT 2003

You might want to add 'Journey to Compostela' by Bernard Reilly,
Combined Publishing 2001. A novel about an 11th cent. Pilgrimage from
the Pyrenees to Compostela

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu] On
Behalf Of davidson
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2003 1:42 AM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: Re: Camino - Texts

Mostly for Dave Whitson, but some others have inquired as well about
literature , fiction , about the Camino or related to the Road. Here's a
quick, certainly not all-inclusive list of some faves

Mysteries:
Elyn Aviva. Dead End on the Camino. Boulder: Pilgrim's Process, 2001.

Sharan Newman.  Strong as Death. NY: Forge, 1996

Carole Anne O'Marie.  Murder makes a Pilgrimage.  NY: Delacorte, 1993.

Not murder-mystery:

Frances Temple. The Ramsay Scallop.  NY: Orchard, 1994. Historical novel
set in middle ages.

David Lodge. Therapy.  nY: Viking, 1995. Not central concerned with
pilgrimage to Compostela, but the last half of the book has the central
character along the Camino; works nicely as a metaphor for cure.

Other works, not fiction:

Karin Temple. Peregrina: On Pilgrimage to Santiago de Composela....
Spokane: String Town Press, 2001. 26 Wonderfully evocative poems, each
honing in on a specific aspect of the Road and walking it.

Journals / Narratives: [obviously, the list is endless, but here's a
quick sort of a few. Shirley MacLaine. The Camino Jack Hitt. On the Road
Lee Hoinacki. El Camino: Walking. Donald & Maria Schell.  My Father, My
Daughter.  NY: Journey Book, 2001.  [I especially like this short work
as the "same" journey is seen through two different sets of eyes.

I also like the 17th-century Italian priest, Domenico Laffi, 's  A
Journey to the West  -- it has some descriptions which seem like he is
on the Road today and others that show how the Road has changed.

Hope this is a start for what you're looking for, DAve.

Linda DAvidson