[UBE?] Re: After the Camino

Tania A. Robson taniaraGOLDEN.NET
Wed Oct 1 05:31:52 PDT 2003

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query.  I appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Tania
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Ferguson
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: September 30, 2003 10:48 PM
  Subject: After the Camino

  After 48 hours in Santiago, I flew to Barcelona, where I visited friends for a couple of days, and
  then flew to Madrid, where I spent a night and then flew home the next morning.  I was more or
  less ready to be home at the end of the trip.  I think that at the end of most long trips, it is time
  to go home at the end.  That said, a little more traveling after the camino felt OK to me.  For
  me, the camino ended when I got into the taxi in Santiago to go to the airport, and I was
  transformed into a tourist.

  If you have plenty of time, I suggest that you arrange your schedule such that you have a
  couple of days at home before you head out, to make any last-minute arrangements and leave
  in a calm state of mind, and then plan to arrive in Santiago a week or so before the end of your
  leave.  Unless you have prior experience with long distance walking, I suggest you plan 20
  km/day, so adjust your distance to match the time allocated.  Whatever you do, plan and
  adjust your thoughts to be flexible.  The camino is not likely to be whatever you expect.

  Richard