Kilometers per day?

Kinsey Carpenter KCarpenteraCMINS.COM
Mon Nov 10 09:29:52 PST 2003

I agree completely with your comments and advice.

________________________________
Kinsey Carpenter
530 Washington Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
415-835-5333

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Ferguson [mailto:peregrinoaATT.NET]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 9:11 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Kilometers per day?

I read the note about training for 25/km per day, two days in a row.  A nice goal, but I doubt
that most pilgrims-to-be can find the time to train 6 hours on two days back to back, especially
when they are putting their affairs in order to leave for a month.  I agree that 4 km/hour (2.5
miles per hour) is probably a reasonable pace on most of the route.

My other note is that most pilgrims are making closer to 20 km/day.  I know that at the end of
my pilgrimage I made two days back to back a little over 25km/day, and I was exhausted at
the end of the second day, despite "on the job" training.  I suggest that pilgrims plan for 20
km/day average, which I think is realistic for most people.  The refugios generally are spaced
to support 20 km/day.  Obviously some people can and do go faster than 20 km/day, but 30
km/day seems like madness for all but the most fit, it becomes a race or an endurance
challenge rather than a pilgrimage.

Richard

DISCLAIMER:
This email may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or proprietary work product intended for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies. Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Carpenter Moore Insurance Services, Inc. for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.