Kilometers per day?

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Mon Nov 10 09:10:34 PST 2003

I read the note about training for 25/km per day, two days in a row.  A nice goal, but I doubt
that most pilgrims-to-be can find the time to train 6 hours on two days back to back, especially
when they are putting their affairs in order to leave for a month.  I agree that 4 km/hour (2.5
miles per hour) is probably a reasonable pace on most of the route.

My other note is that most pilgrims are making closer to 20 km/day.  I know that at the end of
my pilgrimage I made two days back to back a little over 25km/day, and I was exhausted at
the end of the second day, despite "on the job" training.  I suggest that pilgrims plan for 20
km/day average, which I think is realistic for most people.  The refugios generally are spaced
to support 20 km/day.  Obviously some people can and do go faster than 20 km/day, but 30
km/day seems like madness for all but the most fit, it becomes a race or an endurance
challenge rather than a pilgrimage.

Richard