Radio programme re Camino on the net

Sally Haden hadense1948aHOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 3 11:45:56 PST 2003

I am glad to hear that at least two people found the BBC radio programme,
that such radio links do work across borders.  I think that Glenn posting a
link to an American radio programme, but unfortunately I couldn't connect to
it.  Is it still valid, Glenn?  Do you still have the details?  I seem to
remember wondering if there was a slight mistake on the typing of the
address?

I thought that one interesting point on the BBC programme was that in more
than one sort of pilgrimage there is (or was, in history) a very important
element of disassociation from ordinary life.  At one time when a person
went on a big pilgrimage they were hardly expected to ever return and even
the local community would traditionally hold a 'funeral' for the pilgrim
before he went, "just in case"!  And in the case of Lourdes in the 19th
century or even more recently, pilgrims would refuse medical assistance for
any health problems on the way, hoping thereby to encourage divine
assistance in healing.

Another lovely point was about the tremendous power of being in the sea of
humanity, walking (as in the case of the Hajj) with an enormous number of
people all together as one body (without anyone telling them what to do or
where to go), feeling as one, supporting and helping each other naturally.

Or making new friendships that last a lifetime.  Or simply being very awake
to the natural environment or the needs of others or discovering for oneself
surprising or new understandings within religion or spirituality.

Roll on my own Camino.

Sally
Lancashire, UK.