Completed the Camino by Bike in '03

Jen Seeler jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 30 05:34:44 PDT 2003

I am signing back on GoCamino after completing the route from Pamplona to
Santiago by bike, and taking an alternate route to Finisterre.  We rode the
same route in May '01.    Especially  for hikers, there are more albergues
and they are better equipped and closer to each other.   Some are private
and cost a few Euros more but could be worth the difference between 3 and 7
Euros.

Happy to say Felisa's sister is continuing to provide a welcome and figs as
you crest the hill into Logrono.   Her sello says "Higos, agua y amor,"
figs, water and love.

As for having to acquire two sellos (stamps) per day, that was no problem.
Every bar, restaurant, hotel, hostal, (even some grocery stores) have rubber
stamps for your credential, not just the alberques and churches, and these
are open when the albergues are closed.   When we went for our Compostela in
Santiago there was no question about the stamps on our credential.

"The Practical Guide for Pilgrims, The Road to Santiago," by Millan Bravo
Lozano seems to be updated regularly and is now published in Spanish,
German, French and English and is for sale in Spain for 25 Euros.    ISBN -
84-241-3833-3.   I bought what I believe is the latest edition, #8, in
Santiago.  I saw a copy of the 5th edition for sale in Leon.    The maps
seem to be unchanged from the free version originally available from the
Spanish National Tourist office (and no longer available from that source.)
What  has been updated is the information  concerning albergues and more
importantly, accommodation and restaurant data.  This now includes addresses
and phone numbers.

We found that the Camino became crowded from Ponferrada on.   Many people
took a bus or taxi to O Cebreiro and started there.  The church in O
Cebreiro sells credentials for 1 Euro and provides three wonderful sellos.
This credential also had a lot of information on the back concerning
albergues and distances.  Another place where many start is Sarria where the
Church had credentials for sale.  The church in Portomarin (only 100+ KM
from Santiago) did NOT have any credentials available.

We were told that German friends of the Camino have opened an albergue at La
Faba on the way up to O Cebreiro that was wonderful and under-used in May
'03.

In Santiago the cheapest restaurant is Casa de Manolo in Plaza de Cervantes,
large menu del dia for 5.50 both for lunch 2-4 (?) and supper 8:30 PM on.

I've bored you with enough for now, more later about biking the Camino on
'03.

     jean seeler, Trinity Florida, (not a vieja but a mujer mayor at 64.)