Patricia: request Arles- Puenta de la Reina route

David Hough caminooakappleaYAHOO.COM
Wed May 21 10:45:00 PDT 2003

Like all mountains the Pyrenees make their own weather and can
change very quickly.    I would say for the most part people that
are not in good shape should go to Huntto for the second night after
checking in at the pilgrim welcome in SJPP - where they will give you
a map of the route to Roncesvalles with a lot of good information -
like take GR 11 down instead of GR 65 if you want to see the monument
to Roland.    At best it is a very long steep haul and I was glad to have
been walking in France for several weeks before doing it - and that was
in good weather.      After that, I went the next days to the refugio in
Larrasoaña and then the Casa Rural Betzan in Urtega - which is in
Miam Miam Dodo but not the CSJ guide - and tonight the refugio in
Estella.    But many people who overdid it the first day out of SJPP are
limping through very short etapes in Navarra - which is not the worst thing that could happen but not always what they´d planned or scheduled.

David Hough

Riccardo Bellini <bellini.raPG.COM> wrote:
Hi,
has anybodt started the Camino in Saint Jean Pied de Port? I am planning to
start from there and make the firts part to Roncisvalle. and thend own to
Pamplona. I understand it is beautiful but quite tough. ANy recommendation?
Thanks
Riccardo