Sleeping Arrangements in Refugios

wisdom's aspirant athenaaBROOKSDATA.NET
Thu May 8 09:02:09 PDT 2003

I appreciated your "sermon", Rebekah.

I have been alternately irritated and amused when more than half the people
I know (those who have heard of the Camino) say , "Oh, that's what Shirley
MacLaine wrote that book about."  I must confess I tell them that Shirley
wrote the book about Shirley, not about the Camino.

I don't dislike Shirley MacLaine. It's just that I am saddened that a
wonderful Camino with such a long, rich history, is primarily know among my
friends because of this book. There is so very much more to it!

I just received a message from someone who is at this moment on the trail.
I will forward it. but I will not put her name on because she might think
this would be a violation of privacy.
Hi Deanna! Here it is May 8, I think, and I'm in Burgos for the second
time. I've been a bit around Robin Hood's Barn, as it were. Arrived in
Pamplona and promptly sent off to Santiago things which i didn't need, but
still the pack was too heavy, so I took the bus, and in Estella did some
more mailing. Met a man from Canada who has done the Camino 4 times(!) and
wanted to do the Camino del Nort; I thought that might be fun, so I went
along with him. It is beautiful, but way too difficult, so we returned to
Burgos via Bilbao to see the Guggenheim Museum there. He continued on west,
while I went back to Logronos to start really walking. My pack is still too
heavy, but I'm getting used to it, and the only foot problem I have is the
walking on bone one...no blisters or anything of that kind.
I'm meeting lots of fun people; I feel fortunate that I can communicate
with most everyone, and every night is different as to what language
predominates. It has been French up until just the last few days; the last
two have been German and English from Australia...very few Americans, which
pleases me. The last 4 days have been stormy and horrible, so I stayed in
the hostel two nights, and took the bus to Burgos, where I now am. Many
pilgrims, many of whom I had already met at other hostels, got on the same
bus to Burgos, as the Camino is washed out because of the rain; they could
have walked along the busy horrible road but decided not to. I'm not sure I
have the most ideal rain gear; it's a last minute good but heavy raincoat
and pack cover, light pants and gaiters. Gaiters are a must, as when it's
wet the mud is something else again. My friends who have the same and who
have walked in more rain, have gotten water down the back and become cold.
I see lots of big ponchos, which look good to me, but people say they don't
breathe. I'm going to look into it anyway. Well, must go, as my hour has
come to an end

Deanna