Sleeping Arrangements in Refugios

Doug Tustin pelicanaINNERCITE.COM
Tue May 6 20:30:36 PDT 2003

Hi,

My name is Doug Tustin, and I am new to this site. I live in Placerville,
California. I recently traveled in Spain and developed a strong desire to
be a part of the Camino. Since my return, I have found these archives an
excellent source for preparation in both the physical as well as the
spiritual aspect. My thanks to all of you who have posted about your
experiences.

I may begin this Fall, or perhaps I'll wait until Spring. In either case,
I've got numerous questions. I'll start with a simple subject, sleeping
arrangements in the refugios.

Is it best to have a light-weight sleeping bag, or do some people find a
light-weight bed roll satisfactory? I have seen photos of pilgrims carrying
pads. Are they necessary, or are mattresses usually available? Do people
bring small or inflatable pillows, or is it easy to get used to a clothes-
in-a-bag pillow? Are the dorms and facilities co-ed?

On the one hand, I want to experience simplicity and get by without relying
on products of technology, but on the other hand, I realize I am a creature
that technology and some of it will probably enhance my experience. Any
thoughts on simplicity?

Thank you for your help,
Doug Tustin