Changes in Santiago

Elizabeth Boylston-Morris TagelleaAOL.COM
Thu May 1 09:17:58 PDT 2003

Hello,
The readings at Mass are three short passages which are selected (I don't
know how) about a year in advance.  They are the same everywhere and are read
on the same date.  My church, which is High Episcopal, reads the same
passages that are read in the Catholic Churches: a passage from the
pre-Christian bible, a passage from the writings by the Apostles and a
passage from the Gospel.  The latter is only read by a priest.
Since the same passages are being read all over the world in many languages,
including Chinese and Hindu,  having or getting them in whatever language a
non-Spanish speaking pilgrim may speak should not present a problem at the
Santiago Cathedral.
During the pilgrims' Mass at the Santiago Cathedral priests of varied
nationalities address the pilgrims in various languages, but the lay readings
have been done by Spanish speaking pilgrims when I have been there.
Regards,
Liz